Applied Health and Care Research Group
The MAHSC Applied Health and Care Research Group has been set up to support high-priority applied health and social care research conducted in Greater Manchester, that has the potential to generate health and social care impact and benefits to people and communities, patients, and carers.
The group is a joint initiative between MAHSC – part of HInM and one of only eight academic health science centres in England – and the only one in the North West – designated to research new treatments, improve health education and transform service user and patient care, and the National Institute of Health and Care Research (NIHR) Applied Research Collaboration Greater Manchester (ARC-GM) – one of 15 ARCs across England and is funded to deliver applied health and care research that addresses the key challenges of the health and care system whilst supporting staff to translate research in to practice.
- Complement working with ARC-GM/MAHSC/HInM to accelerate excellence in health and social care research and education, and in service-user, patient and carer care and support.
- Collaborate to increase the volume of excellent, timely, high-priority applied health and social care research conducted in Greater Manchester.
- Identify and prioritise effective innovation emerging from applied health (Including public health), and social care research for deployment across GM.
- To ensure inclusivity and collaboration across applied health, social care and public health research activity in Greater Manchester.
- To build research capability and capacity in the multi-professional health and social care sector.
The group is managed by a Steering Group, with two senior representatives from each of the four Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Greater Manchester – Manchester Metropolitan University, University of Bolton, The University of Manchester and the University of Salford sitting as Leads. There is also close working with the Greater Manchester Integrated Care Partnership to ensure activities align with the Greater Manchester ICP strategy 2022-2028 and Greater Manchester’s five-year Joint Forward Plan.
Meet the Strategic Steering Group
Selected activity ongoing within the Group:
- MAHSC Applied Health and Care Research Group – read more on this launch here.
- Seed-corn funding awards – £40,000 funding awards available for Applied Health and Care research projects