12 Jul 2021
14 outstanding NHS clinicians and researchers named MAHSC Honorary Clinical Chairs 2021
Manchester Academic Health Science Centre (MAHSC) has announced 14 outstanding individuals as Honorary Clinical Chairs for 2021.
MAHSC, part of Health Innovation Manchester, awards the honorary appointments to individuals who have made a major contribution to their clinical speciality, including excellence in research and education.
As an Academic Health Science Centre, MAHSC is designated by NHS England and NHS Improvement and the National Institute for Health Research for demonstrating excellence in health research, heath education and patient care. In April 2020, MAHSC was designated for a further five years until 2025 in recognition of the exceptional and world-leading health research partnership between the city-region’s NHS and academic organisations.
It brings together The University of Manchester, Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust (MFT), The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust (Part of Northern Care Alliance NHS Group) and the Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust to deliver research and innovation through six domains aligned to Greater Manchester’s areas of research strength and urgent population needs.
The MAHSC Honorary Clinical Chairs are awarded, on an annual basis, by The University of Manchester’s Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health Promotions Committee. There are currently 63 MAHSC Honorary Clinical Chairs.
Professor Peter Clayton, MAHSC Clinical Director & Chief Academic Officer, Health Innovation Manchester, said: “Each new MAHSC Honorary Clinical Chair has made outstanding contributions within their field and exemplifies the exceptional research, education and patient care taking place across Greater Manchester.
“My congratulations go to our 14 new MAHSC Honorary Clinical Chairs on their appointment and I look forward to working with them all in the future as part of MAHSC.”
The new MAHSC Honorary Clinical Chairs for 2021 are:
- Mr George Antoniou, Consultant Vascular and Endovascular Surgeon, Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
- Ms Jane Ashworth, Consultant Opthalmologist, Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Alison Birtle, Consultant Oncologist, Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Bernadka Dubicka, Consultant Psychiatrist, Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Simon Jones, Consultant in Paediatric inherited metabolic disease, Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Farzin Fath-Ordoubadi, Consultant Cardiologist, Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Amit Patel, Consultant for Haematology and Cellular Therapies, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Mark Roberts, Consultant Neurologist, Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust
- Mr Aali Sheen, Consultant General and Hepatobiliary Surgeon, Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
- Ms Charlotte Skitterall, Group Chief Pharmacist at Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Handrean Soran, Consultant Physician and Endocrinologist, Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Bella Starling, Wellcome Trust Engagement Fellow and Director of Vocal at Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Claire Stevens, Consultant in Paediatric Dentistry, Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Simon Williams, Consultant Cardiologist, Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust