Greater Manchester is the largest student city-region in the UK outside of London and has one of the largest student populations in Europe. There are around 96,000 students currently studying here, of which 24,000 are related to health and social care.
Health Innovation Manchester has formed a partnership between the city’s four universities – the University of Salford, University of Bolton, Manchester Metropolitan University, and The University of Manchester – to maximise Greater Manchester’s research and academic capacity and capability.
We have established the Research and Education Committee, a sub-committee of the Health Innovation Manchester Board, which includes senior leadership from across higher education and research infrastructure.
The committee has been set up to:
- provide the strategic leadership of research and its translation, ensuring that Greater Manchester positions itself successfully to attract major research and innovation funding
- provide the strategic leadership to establishing Greater Manchester as the “Education City” – Ed City –
- and ensure there is a constant pipeline of translational research feeding out innovation programmes and subsequent deployment across Greater Manchester.
Through Ed City we will build opportunities to deliver life-long learning for our health and care workforce throughout their career, ensuring we provide the very best care to patients and attract and retain top talent.
Together we are global leaders for health and social care education.
RCPE Manchester, an exciting partnership between the Royal College of Physicians Edinburgh and Health Innovation Manchester, which will drive innovation and understanding in medicine and will deliver a programme of clinical and academic learning, training and research in the north of England.
RCPE Manchester will create new opportunities for the sharing of knowledge and expertise between the two organisations including:
- Seminars on a range of ‘hot topic’ issues
- Sharing the college’s educational programme, including live-streamed events
- Regional college meetings held in Manchester
- Collaborating to develop educational courses and continuing professional development opportunities
- Development of postgraduate qualifications
- Collating opinion on local health, education, service and research issues
- Collaborating to influence UK health policy