12 Oct 2023
MAHSC Inflammation & Repair Research Domain funding awards launched
The Manchester Academic Health Science Centre (MAHSC) Inflammation & Repair Research Domain, part of Health Innovation Manchester, is offering the opportunity to apply for awards of up to £10,000 to fund cross-discipline, multi-institution, research-led projects that have potential to generate clinical impact and patient benefit.
Academic Health Science Centres are designated by NHS England and the National Institute for Health Research for demonstrating excellence in health research, health education and patient care. MAHSC is one of only eight academic health science centres in England – and the only one in the North West.
The projects should focus on topics or specialties allied to Inflammation and Repair and take into account the specific health needs of the Greater Manchester area, with a view to ongoing impact, publications, and potential for securing definitive funding. Consideration will be given to any new collaborations between organisations. Multiple awards are available, up to £10,000 per project.
Projects may include, but are not limited to, studies to develop pilot data for external grant applications in I&R innovation; projects to develop new technologies or systems; projects to better understand mechanisms in I&R illnesses, or to inform new innovations.
Projects that place an emphasis on potential clinical development and direct impact on patients will be viewed and scored more favourably by the panel.
Grant Duration (one-year):
Awards may fund staff salaries, project running costs, and equipment essential to the study/project.
PI and team should be working in an established research institution or NHS in the Greater Manchester area.
We are happy to support projects that build on the impacts of previous work within the remit of the Inflammation & Repair domain
- Applications must have the approval of the applicant’s Clinical theme lead. Any application involving the funding of time for a named researcher must also have the approval of the relevant line manager.
- Applications must consult, at the earliest opportunity, with their R&I departments, or research support managers, to get appropriate approvals and costings.
- Awards are available for one year. We envisage funding will be available from March 2024 and should aim to commence by May 2024
Applications should be made on the form (listed at the bottom of this page) on Pages 2-3 and be submitted by 5th December 2023 to:
- A decision will be shared with applicants in February 2024
Selection of projects will be made by the I&R Domain Selection Committee using the following criteria:
- Quality of the proposal
- Potential for future external funding and future development of the work
- Potential for clinical impact and patient benefit
- Suitability to the Inflammation & Repair research domain
- PPI/E inclusion